tl;dr: WiQQi is more than a database - WiQQi is initially an attitude and a culture of cooperation and collaboration. WiQQi emerged from care for care and is oriented towards all parties. We have been able to prove that the approach works in local and national networks. Together we want to contribute to Evidence in the future - from practice for practice.
What is WiQQi?
WiQQi is initially an attitude and a culture.
- In WiQQi we share knowledge and experience across the board.
- Shared responsibility: Central to WiQQi is the ethically and professionally reflected, criteria-based and well-founded decision.
With this in mind, we share our knowledge with the WiQQi database.
- Two forms of knowledge: In the WiQQi database, we list solutions and differentiate them using criteria.
- The decision is made by people: WiQQi cannot, should and must not make any decisions. WiQQi supports systematically and reasonably added or filtered out solutions based on the needs of the individual case. The aim is to quickly present "a handful" of solutions that are manageable and enable a well-considered and well-founded decision.
In WiQQi, solutions are all things and actions that can help to solve a problem and / or to achieve a goal.
In the development of WiQQi, we focus on objective technology. We do not hide actions or tips and tricks to solve a problem. However, we want to avoid emotional or social conflict before we know how to deal with it. This can be the case with highly subjective participation when it comes to choosing the right words, the right attitude or the tone of the conversation. Especially when the time for reflection is influenced by the setting or the situation. This makes it easier to talk about a needs-based night light than about having a conversation in a crisis situation.
- Solutions are researched and collected based on the specific individual case.
- Documenting solutions in the WiQQi database relieves the burden on several levels:
- When solving the first individual case, solutions can be included and excluded or prioritized using criteria.
- Solutions can be added and updated collaboratively.
- Solutions can be supplemented or updated when processing further, similar individual cases.
A criterion is a characteristic (e.g. weight/color) that can be used to differentiate between different solutions, problems or objekctives. A prerequisite for this is the description of the characteristics of a characteristic (e.g. 100g, 1kg, 10kg/red, green, blue). One criterion and its characteristics are always descriptive and not judging.
Every judgement a decision is based on, is context-sensitive. The expression "3kg" has a completely different meaning for a bass - depending on whether you are talking about a fish or a guitar. The meaning of the color can also differ - especially if there is a color defect.
In WiQQi, criteria have the following meaning:
- Description of needs: The specification of criteria allows the need to be described more precisely in the individual case. This description includes the Assessment of relevance: is a criterion relevant or not?
- Rating of relevance: Why is a criterion relevant or not?
- Expression of the criterion: Does the expression have to assume a certain value, exceed or fall below it or have a tendency?
- Reason for the expression of a criterion: Why exactly does the criterion have to accept this expression?
- Description of solutions: The naming of criteria and their characteristics can describe solutions in detail? WiQQi starts from the dimensions of the individual case and limits the documentation of solutions to what is sufficient or necessary for the individual case. Other versions of a solution can be added in further individual cases.
- Comparison of solution and requirement: How does a solution meet needs?
- A perfect fit: a problem is solved and/or a line is reached without changing the resources used
- Resources are released: A solution helps resources to be mined or otherwise used.
- Additional resources are required: A solution helps resources to be built up or otherwise withdrawn.
- Ready-to-eat knowledge: Criteria can combine experience and knowledge in a form that can be used in a situation. We call this "ready-to-eat knowledge":
- Needs assessment: Requirements from past cases can be applied to new cases using the criteria.
- Solution selection: Solutions tailored to requirements can be filtered out of the bulk of the solutions based on criteria. This reduces the research effort.
- Reasoned decision: Decisions can be justified by comparing needs and solutions. Effects on resources can be thought ahead and accompanying measures can be initiated.
How did WiQQi come about?
WiQQi was created from practice for practice. We have recognized that, in particular, time-consuming searches without added value are done twice. We were able to demonstrate the all-party benefits of collaboration and demonstrate the advantages of problem solving in a specific individual case. We implemented the Harvard concept and printed it on a beer mat as a guiding tool.
Cooperation: In historical review, we set the starting point for WiQQi in 2015. We invested around 40 hours in researching and obtaining information about https://www.wiqqi.de/de/study/herdabschaltung in order to generate a first overview of available solutions. In the same year we repeatedly met people and organizations who dealt with the future topic to a similar or lesser extent. The discussion was usually abstract - and in the best case was about constructed "personas" with written life situations. We stopped counting at 100 hours. The end point in 2015 was always the same: the time invested in the research was wasted and the experience developed is not enough for advice that does justice to the complexity of care. This raised the question:
- What knowledge and experience could we have generated if we had used the >100 hours cooperatively and/or collaboratively?
Starting point - concrete individual case: The answer to this question followed in 2016: In assisted living, an accumulation of false alarms from smoke detectors led to conflicts in the neighborhood, additional risks of falling when trying to switch off the unwanted alarm or nutritional risks from fear, when cooking triggers false alarm. At the same time, a person's wish to silence unwanted alarms from a wheelchair came to us. Even before we deal with the problem ourselves, we received targeted solutions from a craft company. These suggestions were also independently named by a stove cut-out manufacturer that integrated a smoke detector as a smoke sensor into its own product. At this point, the time required for all the people involved to work together is a few minutes. However, we were able to take a concrete solution proposal into the "laboratory". We talked to about 600 people about the smoke detectors related to the "fall risk", "nutritional risk" and "immobility" care problems. In view of the specific individual case, our interlocutors were able to adapt and expand their own experiences, which led to new insights within the group and also for the individual.
- The situation of the specific individual case assumes the role of the referee and protects against conflicts of different points of view.
Beer mat & advisory concept: We have only had positive experiences with "getting to yes" as an advisory concept. That is why we printed it on a beer mat as a guiding instrument and basic attitude. The space for notes on the one hand illustrates the need to put the specific individual case at the beginning in hermeneutic case understanding. The cornerstones of the concept on the other hand therefore set the basis for clarifying the level of relationships and the common interests. With the search for options for action, hermeneutic case understanding is promoted in a goal-oriented manner. With the ethically and technically reflected, criteria-oriented and reasoned decision, generally applicable rule knowledge is brought together with hermeneutic case understanding: starting from the individual case, the first question is which criteria are relevant for a decision - this is the basis for the selection of solution options by evaluating criteria. WiQQi thus makes a practice-oriented contribution to implementing the "Doppelte Handlungslogik" of nursing and care.
- The WiQQi beer mat depicts the complete concept of WiQQi in a way that guides action. (It can also be used for water glasses ;)
WiQQi works in local networks and beyond:
- Starting Point - individual case: Knowledge can be transferred from individual case (multiple sclerosis) to individual case (corticobasal degeneration) [nursing call]
- Thinking outside the box: technology from the lifestyle area can be transferred to the nursing and rehabilitation area [motor lock]
- Knowledge through social media: Working with social media helps others - and gives us information back via search query evaluations [doorbell]
- All-party approach: WiQQi's work is also recited by manufacturers [WiQQi exoskeleton videos at Rehacare 2019, Düsseldorf]
- Knowledge increases: Sharing knowledge leads to getting knowledge back [FutureShape SensFloor]
- Detecting misuse: Communication via video in development helps to identify user errors [Fabotec stove guard]
- Citizen-Science: WiQQi provides approaches to bundle existing knowledge and experience and make it available [night light study]
- Implicit knowledge: 360° approaches can be used to impart knowledge - but also to record implicit ones using heat maps [360 ° tour]
- Explicit knowledge: 360° approaches can be used to make technology transparent [visual signaling]
What is the future of WiQQi?
After we have concretized the idea of WiQQi with WiQQI BETA, we want to formulate the common understanding of WiQQi. We conduct interviews for this. The results of the interviews are bundled. The various perspectives are then quantified using a questionnaire. The WiQQi database can be developed on this basis. As a result, it becomes from ONE instrument to OUR instrument of cooperation and collaboration.
Yes. We learned from the network study (2019) that the development of WiQQi can be seen as a continuous change process. With the beta version of WiQQi we meet the express wish of our conversation partners and substantiate our idea of WiQQi. From this common point of view, we are on the way to develop what WE understand by WiQQi:
- 2020 - Qualitative study: In interviews, the view of WiQQi is recorded from different perspectives and requirements are collected.
- 2021 - Quantitative study: The impulses from the (few) interviews are validated by many people on the basis of quantitative questionnaires.
- 2021 - Database development: The impulses confirmed in the quantitative study are implemented.
- 2022 - Prerelease testing: The practicality of the implemented impulses is tested.
The year 2020 is the year of the nurses and the midwife. With this in mind, we want to design WiQQi
- WiQQi BETA is online since May 12th, 2020.
- We conduct cooperation talks with organizations that are active in domesticated consulting in order to win them as critical friends.
- We hold talks with manufacturers to create interfaces that make research easier for us.
- We hold talks with project partners to ensure the sustainable, independent financing and thus the impartiality of WiQQi.
- We solve 20 individual cases together - and invite you to share problems with us.
We are looking for committed people who are interested in helping to shape WiQQi. It is important to us that we have fun together and that nobody is overwhelmed. That is why we always start our cooperation on a small scale and go on in small and humble steps if it is coherent for everyone.
- Constructive criticism: We welcome constructive questions, criticism and suggestions.
- Co-development: The collaboration begins with an interview. We are happy to do this by written, telephone or video conference.
- Individual cases: You can also help us by submitting a case that we will solve together.
- Contribute experience: You can support with their experience by contributing solutions for WiQQi.
- Creativity: And of course creativity also helps us. If you discover a common interest in the Citizen Science approach, please do not hesitate to contact us!
We look forward to any constructive feedback. We offer various channels to keep the barriers as low as possible:
- Public communication: Use the comment function of the WiQQi website or other social media channels if you want to share something with WiQQi and everyone who uses WiQQi.
- Personal communication: Use the personal adresses, to start confidential communication with us.
- IN PLANNING: With the beta version of WiQQi we are approaching the format for "ready-to-eat knowledge". We first grant write access after an interview and clarified common interest.
- YOUR IDEAS: Have we forgotten an important communication channel for you? Let us know!.